Whenever I break the Yom Kippur fast, I eat light to avoid overloading my stomach after 25 hours of no food or water. But let’s be real – when you’re ravenous, the last thing you want is a salad.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 French Baguette
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 slice Red onion
- 1 Jalapeño
- 1 vine tomato sliced thin
- Pepper jack cheese sliced thin (as much as you like!)
- 2 cups of Arugula
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 Lemon
- 1 can Amy’s tomato bisque soup
- Cut baguette so that you have enough for two healthy sandwiches and add cheese.
- Warm half of the butter on low heat in a large pan and add sandwiched cheese into pan – making sure the bottom bread is evenly soaked with butter. Press hard with spatula to flatten. It’s ready to flip when the bread becomes a golden brown.
- Before flipping, open the sandwiches and add tomatoes, jalapeño, onion and season with salt.
- Carefully flip to the other side and repeat #2.
- Warm tomato bisque soup in pot.
- Cut jalapeño in half and add top half of jalapeño directly into the pot to cook with soup.
- Remove seeds if you want less spicy and keep seeds for a fiery soup!
Arugula salad: In a small mixing bowl, toss arugula with:
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Drizzle of EVOO
- Any excess red onion and tomato from grilled cheese – chopped small
- Avocado slices
- Flax seed (optional)